Ramayana

 Being a Ramayana lover, I would say that "The Ramayana - A Modern Translation by Ramesh Menon" is a remarkable phenomenon; for stating that I thoroughly enjoyed the incredible books would definitely be an underestimation. I was transported to a whole new universe, where I walked into the shoes of Rama, Sita, Lakshmana, Bharata, Hanuman, Sugreeva, Jambavan, Dasharatha, Kausalya, Janaka, Vishwamitra, Vasishta, Mandodari and several other vital characters who play a key role in the sacred epic Ramayana. 


I danced in joy along with Kausalya when Rama was born, I was thrilled when Vishwamitra successfully completed his Yagna, I was relieved when Rama's pious feet brought back Ahalya from her curse, my heart gleamed with hapiness and I sang praises of Rama along with Janaka and Sita when Rama broke the legendary bow of Lord Shiva, I cried along with Dasharatha when he faced his greatest dilemma during which he had to choose between his passion for Dharma and his love for his beloved son, I turned into rage and my heart melted with brotherly pride beside Lakshmana when Rama was exiled, I emphasized with every Ayodhyavasi when Rama, Sita and Lakshmana started off towards the Dandakaranya, I felt blessed by Rama's sacred sandals when Bharata carried it on his noble head.


I walked behind the divine trio as they were visiting several ascetics in the forest, slaying demons and bringing peace to everyone, I was agonized beyond measure along with Jatayu when his wings were cut off and he helplessly watched Sita being carried away by Ravana, my heart broke when Rama felt pang at being seperated from his life's breath - Sita, I did shed tears of happiness along with Shabari when the two brothers entered into her humble abode, I felt extreme devotion in my heart as Hanuman flew across the mighty ocean, met Sita, burnt Lanka and conveyed the wonderful news to Rama, I felt the lust of battle raging through my veins when Rama slayed Ravana, I was extremely glad with tears of happiness when Rama returned back to Ayodhya and was crowned King and I could just go on saying about every emotion that I felt as I read various incidents that were marvelously described. 


The books are divided into two parts - The first part contains Bala Kanda, Ayodhya Kanda, Aranya Kanda, Kishkinda Kanda and Sundara Kanda and the second part contains Yuddha Kanda and Uttara Kanda. 


Uttara Kanda contains several facts that were new to me. I would surely recommend the incredible books to every Ramayana lover.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sita's Sister

Saraswathi Civilization

Draupadi - The Tale of an Empress